About The Department
The stream of Science in J. B. College was started from the academic year 1949 - 50 after getting the required permission from Gauhati University.
At first the buildings of Department of Physics and Chemistry were the same. From the academic year 1951 - 52, graduate courses in science stream was started. Later due to the difficulty in holding graduate classes, the Department of Physics was shifted to a place where the present K.K.Handique Library stands.
Faculty members of the Department of Physics (ESTD: 1949):
1. BALDEV NAYAR (1949-50)
2. DURGADHAR LHAUND (1949-50)
3. HEMIDUR RAHMAN (1950- 58)
4. SIVA PRASAD SHARMA THAKUR (1952-55)
5. JIVAN BHATTACHARYYA (1952-)
6. HEMANDRA NATH BORTHAKUR (1955-)